This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Need help with Remote Operation

Jul 9, 2013 at 11:51 PM
First of all, thanks for the nice teleprompter software! I'm getting set up for teleprompting for the first time. I already tried two other software programs and Proverb seems to be the most solid and straightforward so far.

I'm having some challenges with remote operation of the program, however.

I see that there has been some effort invested in providing a remote capability but it isn't clear to me how to use it. I see the box entitled "Media Remote Buttons" in the control panel. Can you explain what kind of apparatus these are meant to work with as well as anything else I would need to know in order to make this happen? I must admit, I'm clueless here.

I see in one of the previous discussions on this site, that someone was suggesting mouse control. They already had a lot of key strokes in mind. Admittedly, I haven't assimilated all their keystroke suggestions but I would agree that more mouse control would add much to the usability of the software.

The main issue that comes to mind for me is control over speed. I think this is the main feature that someone needs control over during recording. Control needs to be easy and intuitive, something that can be done without averting one's gaze, or blocking scrolling text especially if the recording is a "one man show" without an operator. The slider in the control panel works, sort of, with an operator but it still blocks the scrolling text. The "+" and "-" keys could work for an operator or if the talent were sitting in front of a keyboard such as with a web cam but the keys on my keyboard don't seem to have any effect on speed. The mouse scroll wheel seems an intuitive and basic way to adjust scrolling speed. I've also seen a couple of program use click and drag from a reference point on the screen. The further the distance, the greater the speed change either up or down. Microsoft Word is one.

An "Air Mouse" makes for a good remote control tool. One of the teleprompter programs that I tried based their remote control operation on this device: http://www.gyration.com/. I think Logitech makes one too. They offer remote control of one's operating system. I think it works with different operating systems. I'm not connected with the company but I already had one for other uses. The device works regardless of hand position. You don't have to point at anything in particular. A speaker could just let his arm hang and scroll the mouse wheel to adjust speed. Other buttons could also be assigned special purposes.

Anyway, I reserve my assessment of how friendly remote and "one person" operation is on Proverb until after I experiment with those "Media Remote Buttons" that the program seems to accommodate. I's appreciate it if you would let me know how to get this working.

Thanks again!
Coordinator
Jul 10, 2013 at 8:15 PM
BillyB,
The remote commands are designed to work with either a PowerPoint remote control or a Windows Media Center remote. The PowerPoint remotes just sent key strokes and the media remotes send special media control messages

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:53 AM
Thanks murkjohansen!

Perhaps, I might've spared everyone my long post. Anyway, I'll try a remote from one of the two above genres you mention. I'm inclined to try the Media Center Remote but I have a couple of concerns:

1) I hope it's not too complicated an apparatus for talent to operate while concentrating on delivery in front of camera. If it turns out this way, I suppose we can always switch to the PowerPoint style.

2) On my installation of Proverb, the "+" and "-" keys on the keyboard don't have any effect on scroll speed. I'm assuming that you installed the speed scroll bar after creating the "keyboard menu", dismantled the keys in favor of the scroll bar, and forgot to edit the keyboard control menu. Am I right? Anyway, if I purchase a Media Remote, I hope the speed control buttons work.
Jul 11, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Edited Jul 13, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Another thought, since I mentioned that I already had this Gyration Air Mouse, one of it's uses is for presentations and it works with PowerPoint. It has the typical Windows mouse setup, a left and right button along with a scroll wheel. When using with PowerPoint, clicking the left button moves to the previous slide and the right button moves to the next slide. It also has three programmable keys that can be tied into keyboard strokes or functions.

Right now, when using it with Proverb, without programming anything, my left mouse button functions as a play/pause toggle and the other buttons have no effect. I suspect that I could program it to do more if the all the key strokes in Proverb listed in the section for keyboard control worked. The main additional functions that I would need are to speed up and to slow down scroll speed. The problem is that about half my keyboard functions don't work, including the + and - keys. If they did, I could most likely tie the mouse into those. Can you help me out here?
Jul 13, 2013 at 7:45 PM
So, my first preference is to use my air mouse. (see above) Does this qualify as a "PowerPoint Remote"? Must PowerPoint remotes normally be programmed? How do you recommend I proceed to get mine working? Do you confirm that the + and - keys are not working in Proverb? If so, will you fix these? If not, should I just proceed to program my device? Which keys should I map to for speed control?

Would it be more promising if I were to purchase a different or dedicated PowerPoint remote? Is there any particular one that you would recommend?

Are there advantages to the "special media control messages" available through the windows media center remote? Does the media center option offer more features? Which ones? Is there any particular media center remote hardware that you recommend for Proverb? (I'd like to connect via Bluetooth.) Does Proverb require windows media center software be installed or will it communicate with the remote on it's own?

thanks again,

I look forward to hearing from you.
Coordinator
Jul 15, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Edited Jul 15, 2013 at 5:07 PM
BillyB wrote:
Thanks murkjohansen!

Perhaps, I might've spared everyone my long post. Anyway, I'll try a remote from one of the two above genres you mention. I'm inclined to try the Media Center Remote but I have a couple of concerns:

1) I hope it's not too complicated an apparatus for talent to operate while concentrating on delivery in front of camera. If it turns out this way, I suppose we can always switch to the PowerPoint style.

2) On my installation of Proverb, the "+" and "-" keys on the keyboard don't have any effect on scroll speed. I'm assuming that you installed the speed scroll bar after creating the "keyboard menu", dismantled the keys in favor of the scroll bar, and forgot to edit the keyboard control menu. Am I right? Anyway, if I purchase a Media Remote, I hope the speed control buttons work.
Right now, the "+" and "-" on the Num Pad do not affect speed, just the "-" and "=" (or "+") on the main keyboard. Could you file a bug for that, should be an easy fix. But the PowerPoint ones are the simplest, they only have like 3 or 4 buttons, they just transmit standard keyboard commands (PGUP=Quick scroll up, PDDN=Quick scroll down, F5=Toggle Pause/Play). We had the talent use the PowerPoint remote once, and it did work, but it requires some training for them to get comfortable with it and not be distracted. We now always have someone dedicated to running the teleprompter software.

P.S. I have only used the Logitech PowerPoint remotes before, those did work fine. They are more expensive ($40 - $60), you may want to try cheaper ones (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0U008P7929 , though this one does not have F5 for play/pause, but perhaps only having 2 buttons will keep things simpler)
Jul 18, 2013 at 4:18 PM
murkjohansen wrote:
Right now, the "+" and "-" on the Num Pad do not affect speed, just the "-" and "=" (or "+") on the main keyboard. Could you file a bug for that, should be an easy fix.
Right, I hadn't thought to try the "+" or "-" keys on the main keyboard. I automatically use my num pad. Yes, the keys on the main keyboard do work. With this new awareness I've mapped my air mouse to the keyboard key strokes and that's now working pretty well.

Are you asking me to file a bug report? If so, I could if you show me how to go about that.
But the PowerPoint ones are the simplest, they only have like 3 or 4 buttons, they just transmit standard keyboard commands (PGUP=Quick scroll up, PDDN=Quick scroll down, F5=Toggle Pause/Play). We had the talent use the PowerPoint remote once, and it did work, but it requires some training for them to get comfortable with it and not be distracted. We now always have someone dedicated to running the teleprompter software.
Interesting to hear of your experience when using the program. Thanks for sharing!
P.S. I have only used the Logitech PowerPoint remotes before, those did work fine. They are more expensive ($40 - $60), you may want to try cheaper ones (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0U008P7929 , though this one does not have F5 for play/pause, but perhaps only having 2 buttons will keep things simpler)
Thanks for the hardware tips!
Does Proverb require windows media center software be installed or will it communicate with the remote on it's own?
Could you please answer this question?